Followers

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Bend it Like...Knowles?


Angus is currently in his second soccer season. He has a friend on the team whom he just adores, and that's pretty much why he's so excited to play this year (we'll call her MO). Angus and MO have had playdates many times in the past, which is why they're practically inseperable on the field...it's very cute! What's not so cute is Angus' lack of focus on the field...he gets to the games and sometimes will lie on the field making grass angels, admiring the planes as they fly overhead, or checking the sidelines ensuring that his cheering squad are present and accounted for (and depending on what's in the water bottle...a quick drink). But wait. I had the same complaints last year. And in swimming. And in music...and, maybe the problem is me? Am I expecting too much from my "big" boy who will only be turning 5 this fall? Is it crazy that there are organized sports/activities for children in this age group (as opposed to pick-up games in the neighbourhood)?

I was talking to my Mum about it a while back, telling her that I don't remember having to repeat swimming levels, or not having any focus at my earliest cross-country or swim meets. She met that with a quick, "Well, of course not! I didn't put you in swimming until you were 7 or 8, and you didn't start running until you were 8 or 9!" What?! What in the heck did I do with my spare time until age 7 or 8?? "We went to the cottage...you played with kids in the complex, you rode your bike, and we visited family." What? That's it?!?! Didn't she want me to have the 'best' start in life?? "In the early 80s, parents didn't schedule every minute of their kids' spare time...and the extra-curricular activities that were available just weren't in our budget. Kids played mostly." Hmmm...

I got to thinking, what did happen to the neighbourhood pick-up games? A step further: To the neighbourhood communities where you really didn't worry too much about where your kids were because they'd be home for food/before dark/inevitably be at a neighbour's house? I can honestly say that we're not overly social with our neighbours...the lots are just large enough that you really don't see too many people, and when you do, it would be a yelling match trying to hear one another.

This past weekend, one of our neighbours hosted a BBQ and invited all the families with young kids. What a great opportunity to all meet! Incredible, some of the families have live in this sub-d for 3, 4, 5, even 6 years, and some of us had never crossed paths!

How do all these things relate? Well, let's just say I'm planning a new approach (afterall, as the brilliant Albert Einstein said, "Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.")...I'll relax! The only expectation I will (TRY TO) have is that Angus have fun in any of his EC activities. I'll make it a point to get to know at least one neighbouring family well by the end of the summer. Free range, free range, free range....

Hey! I have an idea...maybe I'll organize a huge pick-up game of soccer at our place! Yes...I'll call all the parents, tell them what colour their kids' jerseys should be. Soccer cleats a must. We'll bring in some U6 game officials, regulation-sized balls, and offer only organic post-game snacks...medals and trophies, and...

No comments:

Post a Comment